Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Smurthwaite, Margaret Eleanor (Heywood) (1895-1992) Student's poetic tribute

Smurthwaite, Margaret Eleanor (Heywood) (1895-1992) Student's poetic tribute

                     My English Class 

                                           Written for and dedicated to Mrs. Heywood,                      
                  My English teacher

                By Mary Harris, Period 5


                 Another year is at its end
As calendars declare.
And so again I often think
How much I truly care.

I know I’m rather stupid, but
I thought I’d have some fun
And write a note to you to tell
For me what you have done.

I don’t know much about it,
But I still think I should try.
For if I do not tell you this
I think that I shall die.

So now my note I’ll try to write.
Although it may not rhyme,
And even if the meter’s wrong
I will have had a time.

English literature is quite
Intoxicating, so.
We study stories full of joy
And ones of hurt and woe.

Though many of my grades are good
     In English they are poor.
But you, Mrs. Heywood, 
gave the course a very lustrous glow.

You felt the parts that you did read
So in them you put spice.
This is a vital factor that
Has made this course so nice.

So in the end I’d like to say
I really have had fun.
I regret I didn’t do much more
Now that the year is done.

Coming years will be different
For my part I’ll try to do,
And I’ll remember that of this
Most was spurred on by you.

Another year is ending, but
Another year will start
And all throughout its calendar
I’ll try to do my part.

No comments:

Post a Comment