Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Coleman, Sarah Francelle (Heywood) 1860-1937


Traveling on Lee’s BackBone

My grandmother drove a covered wagon over Lee’s Backbone.  It wasn’t easy.

When the Mormon Pioneers first came to Arizona from Utah, many of them crossed the Colorado River close to the Grand Canyon at a place called Lee’s Ferry.  They put their wagons and themselves on rafts that carried them across the river.  It was scary.  But worse than Lee’s Ferry was what came next--Lee’s Backbone, a steep, narrow, rocky trail with rocks and drop-offs along the way.  Wilford Woodruff, the fourth president of the Church said, “It was one of the worst hill ridge or mountain that I ever attempted to cross with a team and wagon.”

My grandmother, ‘Lell Coleman, drove a team of “fiery, high-strung horses” and a wagon over Lee’s Backbone.  She had two boys by her side, my Uncle Neal age 4 and his little brother, Spence, age 2.  It wasn’t easy.

She was scared.  Later she said “it was a most shattering experience.  The driving to the Colorado was not so bad, and being ferried across the river was interesting; but the driving over Lee’s Backbone was the most terrifying, grueling experience of my life.  Actually, there was no well-marked road.  It was a trail perilously narrow in places, wider in others, but always steep hills or dangerous dug ways or curves.  Sometimes I wonder how I did it. . . . The road was so narrow and winding, and (a) ribbon-like river below, I hugged so close to the hill side that the hubs of the wheels scraped the sand and rock.  I tried to keep my eyes on the hill but an occasional glance below made me feel that the wagon might go rolling over and over down to the river with me and my two boys.  I stopped the team and waited until Mr. Heywood came up and changed.  I then mounted the horse and drove the cattle and he drove the team.”

                        ‘Lell Heywood drove a wagon something like this.




Look at the steep cliff alongside the trail.





In Arizona she became a teacher 


My grandmother and her class in St. Johns, Arizona.  
My father, Leland Heywood, is on the front row, second from the left.

Richard Neal Heywood


No comments:

Post a Comment