Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Evans, David (1804-1883) - Letter to his "Companions" 1856

(David Evans is the second great grandfather of the contributor, Richard N. Heywood)

David Evans - Letter to his "Companions" 

From the Legislature, 1856

Great Salt Lake City
December 30, 1856

Dear Companions,

          I take this opportunity of writing to you to 1st let you know that I am well, and enjoying myself every day as either Brother Brigham or Brother Heber and the twelve are with us almost every day -- preach to us the principles of the Reformation and the unsearchable riches of Jesus, and the mysteries of the Kingdom.

          We feast here every day, and the fire of God is burning in our hearts, and we have good times here in the midst of blessings. I think of my family, and pray for you daily that the Reformation may sink deep into each of your hearts, and the Lord bless you all with understanding hearts that you may understand some of the things that are coming upon the earth, and also upon the saints if they repent not.

          When I come home I shall endeavor to proceed further in setting my family in order that the fire of the Lord may be kindled in every heart in my house and round about it, and that our habitation may be a habitation of health and peace, and wickedness and evil spirits have no place with up, and not only with us but in our City, that our City even the City of Lehi may be cleansed with the spirit of judgment and burning, and every soul therein that will not worship the Lord, our God, shall die.

          Dear wives and children, remember this, the admonition of your husband and father and act accordingly, and the Lord will bless you. Read this to Brother Able and Brother Thomas, and all my family, and all who may wish to hear from me, for the day to trifle with this people is gone by, and they must repent or be damned.

          Come down in about two weeks from New Year’s day, and stay until I return.

          I remain as ever your husband in the bonds of the new and everlasting covenant.

(Signed) David Evans


No comments:

Post a Comment