Sunday, September 28, 2014

Sarah Francelle Coleman (Heywood) (1860-1937) "Steps Retraced in 1923"

(Sarah Francelle Coleman Heywood is the grandmother of the contributor, Richard N. Heywood)

Steps Retraced
1923

Sarah Francelle Coleman Heywood


          I was sitting near the window. The evening sun shining through the evergreen trees made long shadows on the floor. Birds were flitting and caroling among the vines that covered the porch. An open letter lay in my lap. I had read it over and over to make sure it was real.
          “Dear Mother,” it said. “I am coming to pick you up in a few days, so be ready for a long trip and a visit with your scattered children. Margery, Little Jo and sister Ella will be with me. We are going to travel the same road you and father did forty years ago.” etc.

Your loving boy,
Leland.

          It had been seven years last Thanksgiving since all my children were home. Seven years added to fifty six had changed the suspicion of wrinkles around my mouth and eyes to lines and curves that showed there had been a long conflict between the stubborn practical issues of life on the one hand, and the spiritual, emotional and ideal on the other.

          The golden brown of my hair was sprinkled with gray, my blue eyes had a dreamy far-away look; I had not always had time to dream; mine had been a busy life. The early part of it had been lived around the ragged edge of poverty. (The sharp teeth of poverty had followed me up to date Feb 1932.) For me its chase will soon cease.

          We had pioneered in three Western States. Eleven children had come to us, three times we had stood by the open graves, had seen little coffins lowered into the cold ground and had hear the sickening thud of damp earth as it fell on the lids.

          When Yeates, the baby, could toddle around, father Heywood was called to go. THen the daily struggle to educate the children and to supply the physical needs, kept every nerve tense. Rebellion and despair, resignation and hope fought constantly for supremacy.

          Frontier life among rugged mountains, on sandy deserts and contact with the unemotional Red Man had taught me to repress any demonstration of love or sorrow. To me it was an indication of weakness to be seen in tears. Among the neighbors I was spoken of as “The Iron Mother”.

          Each time one of my children left home for school, to go into business or made homes of their own, I would go with him or her to the little depot. outwardly as unmoved as a marble statue, but inwardly a raging maelstrom that would burst out at night in a violent torrent of tears. When the storm had subsided I would go to each bed and lightly press my lips to cheek or brow. Beside the empty beds a prayer would ascend in behalf of the absent ones.

          Yeates had been the last to go. When he left, I stood on the platform of the depot as long as I could see a spiral of smoke, then turned mechanically down the path toward home. A brisk autumn wind sent the yellow leaves scurrying under my feet. The perfume of the honey-suckle on the porch and the depressing wail of a mourning dove made me shiver.

          When I opened the door and went in, the house seemed to reverberate with mocking emptiness. The piano, pictures on the walls that father had painted, curtains fluttering in the wind, empty chairs, books, every nook and corner was filled with memories of childish life.

          I dropped down on the stool by the piano and laid my head on its keys. Sharp, resonant, vibratory tones filled the room. The lump in my throat was suffocating. I felt weary, faint, then as if in sympathy, the clamorous strains of music softened and came back with subdued soothing melody that whispered hope and peace.

          For an instant my body shook with paroxysms of grief. Then with stoic determination I sat up, brushed away the tears and opening the door to memory’s closet, saw happy faces and childish pranks, heard joyous laughter and snatches of song.

          On one shelf I saw a little boy -Neal- climbing a barren clay hill; when almost on top he looked down. To his little mind the hill was so tall and steep! Not a bush or twig to cling to. He lay down and tried to keep from slipping by putting his arms around as far as they would reach. That was so long ago. Life’s hill is still steep and hard to climb.

          On another shelf was a twelve year old boy -Spence- busily hoeing weeds in the garden. A cotton tail was nibbling the tender lettuce. How fat and plump it was. The boy’s mouth began to water. He could almost smell the rich odor and taste the juicy brown meat. Several times he threw at the rabbit but missed it, then started a chase, in and out, up and down among the cabbage and lettuce and between the apple and cherry trees. The bewildered rabbit dodged. It made a break for the fence and went under with the boy in a close second. On and on it ran until tired and panting it dropped into a little depression near a neighboring house. Sure of his prize the boy stopped to puff. Just then the neighbor stepped out, picked the rabbit up and walking back into the house, closed the door. Many times since, he has almost plucked the prize.

          Hanging on a closet wall was a scene of bustle and hurry, Breakfast was over, there were dishes to wash, floors to sweep, lunches to put up and children to get ready for school. I had to leave early to open the school room and be ready to greet the pupils as they came trooping in. As I went out of the door, I called back, “Children, be quick and finish the work so you won’t be late for school. Tassie (Robert) don’t spend too much time feeding the rabbits; Velma, is your bed made? Ella, see that Yeates has a clean face and his hair combed. You larger boys be sure to shut the gate so the cows won’t run away.”

          When part way down the path she heard a chorus of voices, “Mamma, do you know where my book is?” “Mamma, I can’t find my hat.” “Mother, Leland is teasing Velma so she can’t help me.” “Ma-m-m-a, it’s cold this morning, my coat is lost.”

          That evening when I came home I saw Yeates with a new vest on. “Where did you get that new vest?” I asked.

          “I told you it was cold and my vest was lost, so I went up in the garret and got big brother’s vest. It went way down to my feet and kept my legs warm.”

          “The one you have on is not a big one, where did you get that?”

          “Going to school my pencil lost, and my teacher sent me to the store to get one. See this pretty blue one?”

          “Where did you get the vest?”

          “When the clerk gave me this pencil he asked me if I would trade my vest for another one. He got this of’en a big pile an’ put it on me. He put the other in the stove. It was all ragged down the back. He said my mother teached school ‘stead of staying home with her kids.”

          Under my breath I murmured, “Yes, poor kids.”

          On the shelf labeled “Childish Sorrow,” I could see sensitive little David, with face on the floor sobbing bitterly. I sat down by him.

          “What is the matter, David?”

          “I had nearly enough money in my little trunk to buy paint brushes and oil paints, twenty-five cents is gone. I never will get to paint pictures.”

          “Don’t cry, I think we will find the money.”

          “It’s gone, it’s gone>”

          “Have any of you children seen David’s money?” An outcry of “No”.

          “I will see if I can find it”, Velma said in her smooth soothing voice. In a short time she came back. “I’ve looked all over but didn’t find it.”

          “I knew you couldn’t, I had four dollars and fifty-cents. I needed fifty cents more, now I have to get seventy-five. The asparagus along the fences won’t be ready to sell for a long time,” sobbed David.

            “I’m so sorry, I’ll look again,” Velma volunteered.

            “Hello!” Leland said, sticking his head into the room. “What’s David crying for?”

            “Twenty-five cents of his is missing. Have you seen it?”

            “No, but what’s the use of bawling over a quarter?”

            “I was to take painting lessons, I never spend my money on gum or candy’” wailed David.

            Leland gave a low whistle. “Mother, did you give Velma money to buy the candy I saw her eating in town the other day?”

            I took seventy-five cents from my purse and gave to David. Had I erred by not being more liberal with the little things that mean so much in the lives of children?

          The shelf behind the door was marked “Excitements,” I took a roll down, brushed off the dust and saw an agitated group of children running to meet me as I rounded the corner into the lane. Some days pervious I had sent east for a fox-terrier pup. Since skunks had been making inroads on the chickens, one was needed. The bill-of-landing had been received. The pup would be in any day. As the children came near enough to be heard, almost in one voice they cried. “Tassie has swallowed a dog! Tassie has swallowed a dog!”

          “He almost choked!”

          “Swallowed a dog? Where is he?” I asked.

          “In the house.”

          “Is he alright?”

          “Yes, but he is scared. Will you give him a dose of castor oil?” “My how he will kick if you do.”

          I had never seen a Scotch-terrier. Could it be so tiny? I knew Tassie had an enormous mouth and throat for a little boy; his mouth reminded one of a young black bird’s, always open and ready for any sized morsel.

          Following the children to the house with shaking knees, I had swift views of a sick boy, pillaged hen roosts, ten dollars- cost of pup- the same thrown away.

          “Who brought the dog from the depot? How did it get out of the crate? Why didn’t you children watch Tassie? You know he is always eating something he shouldn’t.”

          “It wasn’t in the crate, it just had a hole through it.”

          “A hole through it, what do you mean?”

          “Oh, don’t you remember that little tin dog Tassie found? Well, that was what he swallowed.”

          Their eyes sparkled. “You thought he swallowed the pup you sent for?” Yeates said. They wanted to laugh, but mother frowned. She never could enjoy a laugh at her expense.

          Another scene showed Leland in a bath of warm water. He had evolved from the infant boy period to that stage where he could bathe himself - except knuckles and ear pockets. It was a cold day. “Ella,” he called, “Throw me a towel, I forgot it.”

          “You always forget something and expect me to wait on you,” she answered as she put a pitcher of cold water on the table. Throwing a towel in to him she caught sight of his bare back. Temptation was too much. She picked up the pitcher and quickly dashed the cold water on him. He gasped, choked and jumped out of the tub.

          “I’ll just drown you,” he yelled and started for her. She ran outside, around and around the house they ran. Rage gave speed to his feet, he was gaining. One more round and he would catch her; she made a dash for the neighbors. Nothing daunted he kept after her, his anger was so intense he did not see the neighbor girl until almost to her. He had reached his “Waterloo.” Swift, if humiliating, retreat was in order.

          Scattered around on the unlabeled shelves were whooping cough, measles, chicken-pox, mumps, blistered backs, stubbed toes, broken dolls etc.

          The dream had passed with quiet firmness I closed memory’s closet. I must repress the past and anticipate the future.

          The years had seemed long since the children had gone from home. Now I was going to see them. the letter in my lap said so. The shadows lengthened on the floor, spring was in the air. In a few days Leland would call. I must be ready. would my brown silk dress, two years old and a little out of date be good enough to wear in the city? Velma lived there, she was dressy.

          When the car rolled up every thing was ready. What with bedding, cooking utensils, grips, bundles, four grown-ups and a baby, the car was filled. When the last thing was stowed away and the car pulled out on the highway, I leaned back against the soft cushions and fairly reveled in the luxury of it all.

          How the car climbed the hills. No jumping out to block wheels while tired horses strained every muscle to keep it from rolling back. No horses to harness, hitch up, unhitch, grain, water, and at night hobble out with the fear they might stray off. Smell of the camp fire, food flavored with smoke, beds spread on the ground under the starry sky where one could lie and look up into the great blue space for Job’s coffin, the Milky Way and Big Dipper. All gave me the same feeling of youth and buoyancy I had known when we and out two little boys had traveled the same road in a covered wagon forty-three years ago. Then the roads were rough, sandy an steep; Indians were hostile; I remembered what a sensations of security came over me when the moon was full. An Indian myth said the Apaches would never make an attack in the light of the moon.

          Now travel goes unmolested over paved, asphalt, graded and graveled roads. At night the whirr of a bird, the hoot of an owl or the prolonged howl of a coyote was soothing; sleep was refreshing.

          In the dreamland of my sleeping I saw a beautiful home. Father in his easy chair, discussing big events with his six grown boys --grown sturdy to manhood. Ella, the unselfish home-loving girl was busy doing little acts of kindness for father and the boys. Strains of sweet music came from Velma’s violin. The three little girls who had been gone so long were skipping and dancing, their white dresses sparkling in the soft light. It was so real; father, mother, eleven children all home. The shadowy fantasy floated away. the tinkle of the horse bell disturbed me. I moved, turned over. No, it was not mere fancy, I could not mistake the jingling bell nor the strains of music. To make sure I rubbed my eyes and opened them. The sun was flecking the sky with gold and purple. Margey was stirring little Joe’s breakfast, the spoon tinkling against the sides of the tin cup. A feathered songster was almost bursting its little throat calling to its mate that spring time and nesting time have come.

          At times I felt as if I were floating in the air, but suddenly brought down as a rounding curve on some tortuous dug-way came in view. It seemed that with one leap the car would vault over the brink, down, down, -- it made me shudder. On and on across hot stretches with scanty growth of cacti, palos verdes, mesquite and iron wood, gay in spring robes of yellow, lavender and pink; over mountains clothed with dense forests of spicy pines; past lone ranch houses and little villages, through mining towns anchored to hills and mountains.

          How civilizations and industry had spread; the whole country so big and alive -- alive with people in tin Lizzies, Buicks, Chevrolets, and great vans like houses on wheels.

          Spence and his large family were delighted with the short visit made them. I was worried about the little black-eyed baby; she seemed hovering between life and death.

          Tassie, the farmer, was visited on his farm. He was the same unpolished generous, optimistic boy.

          “Mither, next year I’ll have thirty acres of alfalfa, besides corn, wheat and barley. Fellers ‘ll come right to my door for it. Pay big prices. Then I’ll make off pigs; forty now and more coming; most of my cows are pure breads. One little chap looks like a cross between a bard wire fence and a coyote. I’ll beef him. Mither, between you and I? I need a wife to raise chickens and turkeys, make butter and keep the house fit to live in.”

          “I make some bucks strumming the banjo at hoe-downs. Just a few minutes notice and I’m all ready. I wipe the milk off my shoes, brush last years dust off my lid, polish my tusks with the horse brush and off I go to give ‘em jazz till they can’t shake a leg.”

          The Doctor, Neal, and his family were happy and prosperous. David, the teacher, had rented a cozy little nest of a house and would soon have a house-keeper all his own.

          The pangs of loneliness that I felt after each good-bye were assuaged by Margey’s bubbling joy, by Leland’s thoughtfulness, little Joe’s sunny face and impressible Ella, who declared she was the “Jonah” because all car trouble was on the side where she sat.

          In the city, Leland left Margey and Little Jo at the home of Margey’s mother, then drove to the snug little house Yeates and Velma live in. It was a homey place with a lawn and flowers in front and a vegetable garden at the back where Yeates developed his muscles after office hours. Inside there was warmth, brightness and cheer so restful after the long dusty trip.

          Yeates was the same quiet careless lad, heedless of his dress and manners. Velma had acquired more city technique and style. She was a present-day girl with perfectly manicured hands, marcelle wave, plucked eyebrows, roughed lips and cheeks and low cut dress. She had a soft persuasive voice and a nonchalant charm, that was alluring. Her cooking, house-keeping and music were as painstakingly accurate as her person. Her devotion to modern conventionalities kept me in a constant turmoil for she still resolutely clung to the etiquette of her generation.

          One evening at dinner, a hurt pang corrugated the corners of Velma’s eyes when Yeates violated table manners.

          “Yeates,” she demanded, “Why do you insist on using a spoon? One would think you hadn’t passed the bib age. Use your fork.”

          “A spoon carries the food to my mouth without stringing down like stewed okra. When there’s no one but home folks can’t a feller enjoy eating without thinking about how to eat?” he asked.

          “He never cares how he humiliates me,” Velma continued. “Mother, did you notice how that young man at Mrs. Gray’s stood up when we entered and remained standing until we were seated? Yeates never does such a thing. The other day,” she raved on, “we were getting off the street car, he just stood there like a dummy while I went down the steps, never offering to assist me.”

“You are as able to get off the car as I am without help. How would I look if some one were to rush ahead of me, jump down the steps, bow, smile and “with you permission may I assist you to alight?’”

          “Yeates, Yeates,” I said, “Always be a gentleman.” Velma knew by the twinkle in her eyes that mother had made a mental reservation.

          Margy phoned for them to meet her down town at the corner of 7th and 1st streets. She was waiting when they reached the corner. As the car stopped, I walked out ahead and stepped on the ground just as Yeates started down the steps. I smiles and bowed and “With your permission, may I assist you to alight?”, took his arm and helped him down. He gave a sickly smile, looked confused and bewildered. Bystanders tittered. The girls were convulsed with laughter. Margy stepped up to him, “Are you sick?” she asked with anziety.

          “No, mother just put one over on me,” he answered.

          My visit was over. Leland Margery, Ella had decided to remain in the city so I would go home on the train. It would leave early in the morning. It was difficult to swallow the early breakfast. It choked and the flood gate that had so securely locked the fountain of tears in the presence of others began to leak. I would get up from the table ostensibly to get more coffee, leave the table for something I had forgotten to put in the traveling bag, fumble with the lock with one had while the other was surreptitiously using a handkerchief.

          I was thankful the wait at the depot was short. Only time to get a ticket, check baggage and a hurried good-bye. As the engine began to pant and tug at the long train, I sank into a back seat of the first coach. What a relief it would be to open the safety valve to moist emotions and let off steam, shrill, high-pitched, hissing screeching steam. The engine snorted, the wheels grated and ground on the steel rails. Great black rolls of smoke trailing close to the ground puffed in through the open windows. The train laboriously pulled out of the depot, past tall buildings and factories, through suburbs, by foul smelling swamps fringed with coarse grass and rushes.

          Startled ducks winged up from among nodding cat tails, and swooped down into pools farther away. The wheels of black smoke wallowed in the hazy air, making the murky desolation more desolate.


          As the train gained in momentum the miasma laden atmosphere gave way to balmy invigorating air. In the distance, gulls, looking like feathery snow flakes were skimming and gliding or hanging motionless above a calm and placid lake that rivaled the cerulean beauty of its twin majesty. A wavering aureole of gray mountains lay between. A burst of sunshine sent shimmering rays of light on the laughing ripples, that ricochetted HOPE! TRUST! JOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment