Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Heywood, Richard Neal (1933- ) AutoBio

Note:  At the end of My History there are three addenda:  1. Some early memories, 2. Some later memories, and 3. A table listing pioneer ancestors with links to immigration and migration information and stories.
My History-
Richard Neal Heywood. 10 April 1933 -       [1]

My LDS Heritage

Before 1933

My parents, grandparents and great grandfathers and their wives were members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.  I have 13 ancestors who “crossed the plains” to Utah before 1869; one great-great-grandmother died in Ash Hollow, Nebraska while crossing the plains. Grandparents and great grandparents were pioneers in Mormon communities in Utah and Arizona.  My father was reared in an Arizona pioneer family in Alpine and Thatcher, Arizona.  My mother was reared in a pioneer home in Wellsville, Utah.  (See the table at the end of this document for a listing of Richard Heywood's Utah Pioneer Ancestors who crossed the Plains before 1869 when the transcontinental railroad was completed.)
Of interest to me as a patriarch, my father was a patriarch and two of my great-grandfathers were patriarchs.

Birth


Monday, 10 April 1933

I was born in Snowflake, Navajo, Arizona. My parents' home was in Holbrook at the time. I was delivered by Dr. Joseph Neal Heywood, my uncle. My three older siblings were Josephine, age 11, Barbara, age 5, and Alfred, age 3.
I take pride in having been born in Snowflake and having been delivered by my Uncle Neal. Alfred was also born in Snowflake and delivered by Uncle Neal.
Hitler came into power during the year of my birth. Franklin Delano Roosevelt was inaugurated President of the United States.

The following was written years ago:

 My Life
Richard Neal Heywood

          I was born in snowflake, Navajo County, Arizona. April 10 1933. It was Monday morning about 10 o’clock. My doctor was my uncle, Dr. J. N. Heywood of Snowflake. My daddy was living in Holbrook, Arizona. He was a dentist. My grandma Smurthwaite came from Salt Lake city and stayed with me for two months, in Holbrook. Our home was in Holbrook. The family lived here for five years and when I was one and a half years old we moved to Mesa, Arizona. We lived in a brick house on south Mesa Drive for two years. There was a big canal between our front lawn and the highway. My aunt Ella was hanging out clothes one day, she had wheeled my crib out in the back yard with me in it. Alfred, my brother, came along and lifted me out, and Aunt Ella looked for me and couldn’t find me and thought I had fallen in the big canal. But finally she found me in the house. Alfred never took me out of my crib again. When I was three years old I was in my baby bath tub and I had a little rubber donkey and a little rubber pig. I was playing all around, pushing on the pig and donkey and all of a sudden I slipped over in the bath tub. I was learning to walk when I was about one year old and I caught whooping cough and measles, so I didn’t learn until six months were over with. When I was learning to walk, before I caught whooping cough, Barbara, my sister, was standing and saying “come on Richard” and when I went I went real fast and I knocked her down, just like I was running.

Brothers and Sisters


Margaret Josephine Heywood (Pitton) 18 Nov 1922, Mesa, Maricopa AZ
Barbara Lea Heywood (Price) 2 Oct 1928, Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA
Alfred Leland heywood 17 Jun 1930, Snowflake, AZ
Carol Jayne Heywood (French) 3 Jul 1940, Hill Township, Johnson, MO

My Place In The Family


Monday, lO April 1933 to Friday, lO April 1953

For about 12 years, I was the youngest in the family. At that time, my sister, Carol, was adopted. She was about five when she first came to our home.
I think I was a bit spoiled; at least my older siblings seem to have felt that I had it easy.
My brother, Alfred, picked on me some.  I am told that my sister, Barbara, gave me a pretty hard time, but I have only the vaguest recollection of her giving me any trouble.

Places I Lived as a Child and in my Youth


Monday, 10 April 1933 to September 1959

I lived the first two years of my life in Holbrook, Navajo, Arizona. I don't remember it. I have been told that I was walking when about one year of age, but I developed whooping cough and this set me back. I don't know how long it took me to learn to walk again. I have wondered
whether or not it might have stunted by growth and/or my mind. I might have been an NBA basketball player or perhaps a genius, if l had not developed that whooping cough.
From Holbrook, we moved to Mesa, Maricopa, Arizona.   Our first home was on Mesa Drive a bit south of Main Street.  I have only the vaguest recollection  of the "Old Brick House."  It still standing as of February 2007.
While living there, my mother tied me up to a tree so I wouldn't fall in the big ditch which ran in front of the house.  Alfred felt sorry for me and turned me loose. I fell in the ditch, but he saved me. I had heard the story most of my life, but only recently learned that he had turned me loose.  I had considered him a hero, and I guess in a way, he was. But the luster was a bit dimmed when I found out he was responsible for the almost disaster.
Our next home was at 40 East First Street in Mesa. We lived there until I was a sophomore in high school. There were six of us in this three bedroom home. I thought it was a nice home, but, by today's standard, it was small. Alfred and I slept in what we called the screened porch. In my early youth it was pretty much open to the out of doors because two walls were made up mostly of screens. (I remember finding a black widow spider on one of the window sills. I thought it looked very harmless and quite pretty. Since then, I have developed a fear for the black widow. Barbara and Jo were in the middle bedroom, mom and dad in the front bedroom. We shared a small bathroom.   We ate most meals in the kitchen.  We ate Sunday Dinner in the dining room. At first, we had neither central heating nor cooling.
We had an evaporative cooler in the living room. Because of the hot climate, we were grateful for the screened porch.  It wasn't uncommon for Alfred and me  to sleep out of doors.
We had a large yard, over an acre, with a citrus orchard, a small barn, a chicken coop, various fruit trees, an occasional garden, pasture for our one or two horses and one or two cows.
I hated gathering the eggs and often procrastinated the chore.  This led to the breaking of eggs in the nests and a lot of extra work cleaning the eggs.  (I must confess that I still procrastinate and as a result often have a lot of extra work to do.)  I was milking the cow regularly while still in "grammar school."  Once, we had two cows, a Jersey and a Guernsey.  We had plenty of milk and cream and butter.  At one time, I sold cream to the neighbors.  The cream was much thicker than the thickest cream which may be purchased at a store.  If I remember correctly, I sold a pint for 35cents.
At one time, Alfred got lazy and didn't want to "strip" the cow dry when milking.  He started adding water to the milk he got so his laziness wouldn’t be discovered. By the time his deception was discovered, the cow was almost dry dry.
At one time we raised two sheep. One was named "Doc." I can't remember the other name. We also raised a Hereford calf for meat. I saw my cousin, Newel, slaughter it, a most unpleasant experience.
We had a couple of tall eucalyptus trees just west and north of our house. We climbed them quite a bit. It is so surprising to me that my mother let us climb so freely, because her sister Mildred, fell from a tree in her youth and suffered paralysis and a resulting premature death in a few years as a result of the fall.
Perhaps confession is good for the soul. We had a loosely knit club called the OFTC. One or two of us or our friends would climb the eucalyptus and act as look-outs to make sure our neighbors, the Scotts, were not in their orchard. (There was a large naval orange tree in the middle of their orchard.) When the coast was clear, one or two of the boys would climb over the
fence and harvest a generous supply of the delicious fruit which we relished. OFTC was an acronym for Over the Fence Club. We had no officers. We never got caught except by our conscience.
When I was a sophomore in high school, we moved to a very nice home on Vista Drive (Now 7th Place) in Mesa. We didn't have a huge yard like we did before, but there was a huge lawn that had to be mowed. I mowed.  By then we had purchased 5 acres of pasture on Country Club where we kept a horse and cows.  I milked.  Once, when I went to milk our two cows, my Sister, Carol, went with me. The smaller cow, a Jersey with horns, butted her resulting in a slight injury. Dad immediately had the cow de-horned. Carol did fine. Before the dehorning, the Jersey had been a bully and reigned over the somewhat larger Guernsey which had no horns. After the dehorning, the Guernsey became the boss.
Shortly after I came home from my mission, my folks had a home built at 443 North Macdonald Street in Mesa. That was my home until I married Carma. That was where we had our reception.



Church Ordinances


Sunday, 2 July 1933 to 2000


Ordinance
Date
Performed by
Blessing
2 Jul 1933
Leland Heywood
Baptism
3 May 1941
William H Poulter
Confirmation
4 May 1941
Mernice L Griner
Deacon
27 May 1945
Leland Heywood
Teacher
9 May 1948
Leland Heywood
Priest
9 Apr 1950
Leland Heywood
Elder
25 May 1952
Leland Heywood
Endowment
18 Jun 1953
Mesa Arizona Temple
High Priest
4 Aug 1974
Leland Heywood
Bishop
28 Jan 1990
Richard S. Ray
Patriarch
23 Jan 2000
Brent Jameson


Father's Occupation

About Tuesday, 10 April 1934 to Friday, 10 April 1953
My dad was a dentist. He started dental school when he was about 30. Before dental school he had been a pharmacist in St Johns, Chandler, and Mesa. He graduated from the University of Southern California dental school when he was about 35. He practiced till he was 72, a total of about 37 years. I was proud of him. He worked very hard and was a good provider.  I think he enjoyed dentistry.  It was a grinding occupation; he often came home very tired. He said that when he died, he wanted this written on his tombstone:  "Here lies Dr. Heywood, the last cavity he will ever fill."


Mother's Occupation

About Tuesday, lO April 1934 to Friday, lO April 1953

Mother taught school most of her adult life. I was proud to have a teacher for a mother, but when I think about it now, I think there would have been less tension in the home had she been a "stay and home" mom. Actually, she was at home for part of my growing up years, but when World War II came and they needed her service she became a substitute teacher. Finally, when a fulltime teacher had to quite (I can't remember why) and she was teaching so much, mom thought it might be best to become a permanent teacher. We as kids thought that would be wonderful!  She decided to resume fulltime teaching.  (If  I were advising today, I would encourage her to stay home.)
After my mother retired from Mesa High School at age about 67, she taught at the Church College of Hawaii (now BYU Hawaii) until she was about 72.
She said that after she taught her first class as little more than a school girl herself, she always felt economically secure knowing that she could earn a living if it were necessary.

Pets


About 1938 to About 1950

In our childhood home on First Street in Mesa, we had a dog named "Snowball" and later a dog named "Oliver Twist Heywood. We also had a cat named Tonto (because of her color and the fact that Tonto, of Lone Ranger fame, had a horse which was a "paint." (A "paint" is a horse with patches of brown or black and white. Also called a pinto.) Tonto had patches of brown and white She had many litters of kittens.
My uncle Tenn sent the dog from Utah.  My brother, Alfred, recommended the name Oliver because the dog had traveled so far.  Alfred said, "You know, Oliver's Travels!  The name Oliver stuck and the kids added to the name so it became "Oliver Twist Heywood.
We had a rooster which was not exactly a pet. In fact it wasn't a pet at all. Alfred and I called it Peckarara (Sp?). It was a mean rooster and would chase even medium sized children.

Early Education


1938 to 1947
1938- 1941 Lincoln School, South Center Street.  Kindergarten through 2nd grade.  I walked to and from school, about half a mile from home.  I remember the principle was Mrs. Houston.  One teacher was Mrs. Kay. In Kindergarten we took a blanket and had a nap. I particularly liked having a note pinned to my shirt to take home to my Mother. I remember going with a freind after school and playing in a cotton gin. I remember a traveling group that put on some kind of a show in the front yard of the school; they had a monkey with a prehensile tail. I'm sure I must have learned something, but I don't remember.

1941-1944 Irving School I have many more memories about Irving School, North Center Stree, where I attended 3rd through 5th grades. It was on the same block in which we lived.
My third grade homeroom teacher was Miss White.  She was a marvelous story teller.  She drilled us on adding and subtraction. I enjoyed it a lot.
My fourth grade home room teacher was Miss Cords, I think.  She drilled us on multiplication tables. I enjoyed that a lot. She used flash cards. My friend and I raised our hands to give the answer almost before the cards were up. When she would get mad at a student her face would go bright red. She had peach fuzz. My fifth grade home room teacher was Evelyn Christensen who became Mrs. Lane Pew during the year. She was our music teacher and a good one! (I started taking trumpet lessons from her husband while in the fourth or fifth grade.)
I enjoyed many things at Irving:  Sports, the drum and bugle corps, recess and chasing the girls, patriotic programs, the raising of the flag and the pledge each morning, and being a "Crossing Guard". Music became very important to me. I liked all my teachers.
Once, when I was in the 5th grade, I sort of bullied a younger boy (nothing serious). Later, I was ashamed; especially when I leaned he didn't have a father. (By the time we were in high school, he was bigger than me.  I am glad he didn't hold a grudge.)
1944-1947  Franklin School was on Main Street, close to half a mile from home.  I walked to school, often with my friend, John Jarvis.  I was active in sports and music--singing  and playing trumpet in the orchestra; Mrs Bond was the orchestra leader.  I like my teachers.  Ruida Hicks was my 6th grade home room teacher.  She became Mrs. Millet.  Mrs. Galbraith was my 7th grade home room teacher.  She seemed to like me a lot more before I was in her class than she did when I was in her class. I think it was because of excess talking on my part.  Miss Bell was my 8th grade home room teacher. I liked all my teachers. Among my favorites were Mr. Heywood (my cousin Kenneth who taught PE--He gave me a swat, once. (I'm sure I deserved it.).  Mr. Riggins was our science teacher and sponsor of 4H in which I was very active, and Mr. Herrera. Afton Petersen was one of the best! I liked my classes. I think I liked Shop least of all because I was not very good at it.  I was especially poor at Mechanical Drawing. Art was a close second.   I liked Orchestra a lot. I liked PE best of all. I got a couple of blue ribbons in track while in 7th grade. The next year, in the same races, I came in 2nd or 3rd to a couple of skinny black boys from another school. I had expected to win, again.
I think I had stopped chasing the girls by this time, but I had even more interest in them. I had a few "girl friends" by then.
My friend, John Jarvis, and I won blue ribbons with our 4H demonstration on "BWD" testing of chickens. "BWD" stands for bacillary white diarrhea which could result in the death of chickens. The second year, the disease was called pullorum[2]. In 4H I was given booklets to keep track the eggs our chickens would lay. I would keep an accurate record for about 2 or 3 days. Then, I would procrastinate and try to remember the figures and fill them in later. After a while, I would give up the record keeping project. (I still have a hard time keeping track of things!)
1947-1951  Mesa High School
Four great years.  I played football and basketball.  I played trumpet in the band, first chair my senior year.  I was Junior Class President.  I was in the National Guard for almost 2 years.
Friends, Childhood and Youth

1938 to 1959

I became acquainted with most of my close friends at church. They were also my school mates for the most part.
John Heber Jarvis lived just down the street in the next block. I used to give a Tarzan yell as I approached his house on the way to school. He had a more disciplined childhood than I did. My parents gave me considerable more freedom. As a result, I think, he became a more disciplined person than I am.  Some of the things I remember about John are his great memory for names. He also had a good memory for the streets in Mesa. He was a great student. He was always a bit smaller than I was. He was about 6 months younger.  We started school together in kindergarten and progressed together through high school. He was a good student and was one of our school Salutatorians when we graduated from high school. At one time, we both played trumpet. I kept playing in high school and college. He quit after grammar school. We played together on the "Allen All Stars" basketball team during 7th and 8th grade. It was coached by our friend John Allen's father, John "Bat" Allen.  We were winners. John Jarvis and I were Cub Scouts together
and Scouts, too. I played basketball in high school. He didn't because of his height. I grew to 5' 10" and he is probably 5' 8". I was a bit faster. John didn't go on a mission as a young man, but I got a family letter from him last week (Feb 2007) which announced that he and his wife, Pat, have been called on a mission to Japan where he will be directing mental health efforts for the missions in the area.  John is a psychiatrist.  In high school, we dated the same girl (Helen Fancher) off and on. He ended up marrying her. They divorced after rearing a family. I don't know what happened.  She died ten years or so ago. It is interesting that, though they weren't married at the time, John took care of all of the funeral arrangements.  A few years ago, John married Pat Ford, a widow. They have many grandchildren and are doing well.
Keith Standage was one of my closest friends in 6th through the 8th grades. He matured much earlier than I did and we didn't do much together after the 8th grade except we played varsity basketball together our senior year. He made the freshman team. I didn't. He was a starter for the JV s our Sophomore year. I sat on the bench most of the time. He made the varsity team our junior year.  I was a starter for the JV's. Our Senior year he was a starter and when I played, I usually replaced Keith. At one time, we almost got into a fight in practice. I usually guarded him in practice and he became irritated because I guarded him too closely. He later apologized.
I think it was when we were in the 8th grade that Keith and Merlin Mitchell and I got into trouble. It all started after scout meeting.  There was a hotel close to our "Scout Barn" behind the Mesa First  Ward building.  We happened to see a partially broken window on the top floor, I think the third.  We decided to knock the window out the rest of the way with rocks.  Merlin was a pitcher and a good shot with rocks. I think it was Merlin who completed the job.  This whetted our appetites.  We started on a few windows which were intact with some degree of success. Then, on the way towards my home and Merlin's home, we were again tempted by some large windows at the side of a car dealership on the south side of Main Street between Center and Sirrine. We did some significant damage with some large rocks we found nearby. All at once, a car came into sight. It was a police car.  We ran. Merlin escaped.  (He was not only a good pitcher, he was fast.) Keith and I got caught. We denied any wrong doing and went our way, but, the next day the damage was reported to the police. We were confronted and confessed. We had to appear before Judge Bird. (He was our Justice of the Piece and also an excellent saddle maker.) For several years I worried about the possibility of my criminal record becoming public knowledge.  We had to pay for the damage. I hoed weeds to earn money. I hated hoeing weeds. I don't know whether I got enough hoed to really pay the debt, but somehow it was cleared up. I don't know whether there was any relation between my juvenile trouble and my decision to stop swearing or not, but it was in the 8th grade that I stopped. (I remember only one time since swearing-off swearing that I have sworn. That was when I got mad at Alfred. Now I don't remember was I was mad about.)
Keith fulfilled a mission, but I don't think he was entirely committed to the Church. I heard that he had some legal troubles not too many years ago. He died a few years ago.  I lost track of Merlin long ago.
Nolan Petersen became one of my closest friends when we were in the 8th grade. We started doing a lot of things together and did so through high school and into college. We had long talks on many subjects. We exchanged profound ideas. We played in the high school band, had mutual friends, lived in the same ward, took occasional high school classes together, and were in the mission field at the same time. While I was courting Carma, we double dated with Nolan and his future wife, Colleen O'Barr. Nolan had paper routes. He could get by on very little sleep. He told me once that if he got 6 hours of sleep, he was "living." (If l didn't get at least 8 hours of sleep, I would feel tired.) Nolan served a full-time mission in the Central States.            Two of
Nolan's children accused him of molesting them in their childhood. I am convinced he is innocent, but the accusation eventually broke up their marriage and split the family apart. Also, the accusation and its implications almost broke Nolan mentally. He became so pre-occupied with his plight that he could almost think of nothing else. A few years ago, however, he met and


married a fine, active sister and is doing much better. But he is still grieved by the loss of his family. Nolan and I are still good friends.
Ray Ulmer and I did a lot of things together in high school and have remained friends. We played football together. We went to Friday Night Dances at the Mezona frequently. We double dated some when we could get up enough courage to ask for dates, but mostly we went to the dances hoping to find a girl there to "take home." Most of the time, we just went home by ourselves.  Ray was not as active in  the Church as my other friends. When I talked with him on the phone not too long ago, he swore quite a bit. He told me that his divorce from his wife, Jan, resulted from her drinking. Ray has done very well financially.  I think he has a good family.
Don Crandall and Larry Bluth were also a good friends. They were a good musician; Nolan was, too. We played in the band, sang in our ward choir, and often sang in quartets.
Don married, but the marriage didn't last. I roomed with Don our freshman year in college. He majored in music and became a teacher. He served a mission in the Eastern States, think. He participated in the Hill Cummorah Pageant. Don was killed in an automobile accident while still a young man. The family asked me to present his history.  I was honored to do so.
Larry married and has lived happily-ever-after.  He has a large family and I think they are all doing well. He served a mission in  Argentina.  He has also been a mission president.
It is sad to say, but of the 6 friends mentioned above, 4 had marriages ending in divorce. I don't know about Keith Standage. Fortunately 3 have remarried.
There were others, but none as close as those mentioned above.
Girls who were childhood friends: I'll name a few: Donna Brinton (LeBaron), Helen Fancher (Jarvis), Joan Davis (Johnson), Anita Cox (Farnsworth), Delcina Robson (Hatch), Donna Steffey (Millet).

Accidents

1941 to About 1997

Broken ribs via a fall. Broken arm via a fall. Concussion via a fall from a milk truck. Broken hand via a rock thrown by a friend. Broken toe while playing football. Mild concussion from a blow on the head while playing football. Broken hand while playing basket ball. Broken hand caught in the hinge of a ping pong table (My, did that hurt.)  Subdural hematoma from a "collision" on a slide at a water park.
Have there been any after effects? Perhaps.  My mind may have been sharper had it not been for two concussions and the subdural hematoma???  (My friends and family can be the judge of that.) Also my right fourth Metatarsophalangeal joint is periodically painful which may be the result of my broken toe while playing football.)

World War II

Sunday, December 1941 to 1945

I remember coming home from Sunday School on December 7, 1941 and hearing the announcement on the radio: The Japanese had attacked Pearl Harbor. This changed our lives. Before long, sugar was being rationed as well as gasoline. There was a shortage of candy, especially when we went to scout camp. We collected news papers and grease and rubber as part of the War Effort. The government sold bonds to raise money. (It was our patriotic duty to buy them. I had one or two small bonds.) We had acquired a new Buick in 1941 before the war; there would not be another until 1947, a Studebaker. My mother started teaching school again


because of a teacher shortage.
We had many patriotic activities. 4th of July celebrations were big events. Parades emphasized patriotism.
My brother-in-law, Jim Pitton, was our hero. He was a commissioned officer in the 69th Field Artillery Battalion. (He served in the occupation forces in Europe.)
There was news of the war on the radio regularly and also there were short News Reels at the movies which covered the progress of the war.
I remember V-E day when the German's surrendered. I remember atomic bombs being dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki followed by V-J day.



I met the prophet when I was a boy.

1941
When I was about 9 or 10, my family went to Salt Lake City for a vacation. While there, I was taken to the Hotel Utah where I was left in the barber shop to await a haircut. While waiting, President Heber J. Grant came in. I met him. He shook my hand.  I was happy to let him go ahead of me to get his beard trimmed. The occasion was so impressive for me, that I determined to be a better boy. It was almost like being baptized again. I'll always remember the feelings I had.
For me, it was a remarkable experience.

My First Jobs

About 1944 to about 1957
One summer I worked for a few days as a cotton picker.  I think we were paid about 5 cents per pound.  One of my friends put a bunch of clods in his sack to make it weigh more.  When a brand new empty trailer was brought in, I wanted to be the first to dump picked cotton into the trailer.  I grabbed his bag, climbed the ladder, and, despite his protests, dumped his bag into the trailer.  As the clods hit the bottom of the trailer they made an awful sound.  That night I was told to not come back.  My friend was peeved at me.  He said he could have dumped  the cotton without it making any noise.  He didn't get fired.
When I was a freshman or sophomore in high school, I pestered Wayne Phelps so many times about giving me a job that he finally hired me at "Phelps Market" as a "carry-out" boy.  I worked for over I 0 hours on Saturdays and was paid $5.00 per day. I got very tired. I quit the job in the middle of my Sophomore because by that time I was playing  junior varsity basketball at Mesa High School and our games interfered with the work. I had an occasional summer job.  One
memorable job was working in a potato shed in Queen Creek as a "Jigger." One year, I delivered the Mesa Tribune every Thursday evening. My route included part of  Alma School Road.
I did some lawn mowing for money and had an occasional summer job while in high school. When in college, I worked part time in grocery stores, Speckert's in Provo and Wright's in Mesa. I also was paid a small amount while attending Advanced ROTC. I was also a lab instructor for a Zoology class.

High School Graduation

May 1951
The main thing I remember about my high school graduation was that I didn't have a date and


was pretty blue about it.
I don't remember receiving any honors or any recognition.  I played in the orchestra for the processional and recessional.
I don't remember who spoke.
Our Valedictorian was Joan Davis (Johnson). There were three Salutatorians: Donna Brinton, Anita Cox, and John Jarvis. All of these were members of my ward and good friends of mine over the years.

Church Callings, 1954 to 2014

Calling
Dates
Orgnization                                       Duration
Full Time Missionary

1954-1955
Northwestern States
2 y
Sunday School Teacher

1955-1956
Mesa 1st Ward
1 y
Elders Quorum President

1957-1961
University 4th Ward Salt Lake City
3 and ½ y
Elders Quorum Committee

1961-1961
Columbus Ohio Ward
l y
Ward Choir Director

1962-1963
Columbus Ohio 
Ward
l y
Elders Quorum Counselor

1963-1964
Peoria Illinois Ward
2 y
Ward Young Mens President

1964-1965
Peoria Illinois Ward
ly
Sunday School Teacher 

1965
Tempe 4th Ward
l y
Stake Era Director
1965
Tempe Arizona Stake
l y

Ward Sunday School President

1966-1972
Tempe 4th Ward
6 y

Counselor--Stake Sunday School Presidency

1972-1973
Tempe Arizona Stake
 l y
Elders Quorum President

1973-1974
Tempe 4th Ward
l y
Counselor--Bishop Heber Olson

1974-1976
Tempe 4th Ward
3 y
Aaronic Priesthood Secretary

1976-1977
Tempe 4th Ward
l y

Ward Executive Secretary

      1997-1983
          Tempe 4th Ward
          5 y
Counselor--Bishop Byard Wood

       1983-1990
          Tempe 4th Ward
          7 y
Bishop[1]
       1990-1997  
           Tempe 4thWard
          7 y

Stake High Councilor

        1997-2001
           Tempe Arizona 
          3 y
Stake Patriarch
         2000-
           Tempe Arizona 
        13 y

Missionary--Mesa Regional Family History Center

       200 1-2009
           Mesa Arizona
         7 y
DirectorMesa Regional Family History Center

        2009-12  
       Mesa Arizona
         3 y
Ward Temple and Family History Consultant
        Apx 2011-
         Tempe AZ
6+y




[1] Counselors:  Larry Faas, Clark Fullmer, Earl Bleak, Don Martindale

     I have been deeply involved with Church callings. I have tried to serve well, but have felt inadequate on many occasions. I hope my service will be sanctified to the blessing of those whom I sought to serve. I don't think I always made correct decisions despite my efforts to receive inspiration. I hope I have not injured anyone spiritually or detracted from their testimony.  If I  have harmed any one, I hope and pray and am assured that a kind Father in Heaven will make it up to them.
     I believe that my callings have been a blessing to me and my family. I served in the bishopric through many of the years my children were in their teens. I feel this was a great blessing to me and I hope to them. It gave me opportunity to participate in many activities with them.
During my years of service, I have associated with wonderful brothers and sisters and feel grateful for their friendship and their confidence and their fine examples.

Courting

1956 to 1959

     I have vague recollections of a cute little blond haired girl I saw when visiting my cousins in Snowflake, Arizona. I didn't know her name, but the circumstances lead me to believe she was the daughter of  Lawrence N. Smith. I was drawn to this little girl at the time and would be again as will be apparent as this story unfolds.
     When I returned from my mission in the Northwestern States, some of my friends talked me into attending Arizona State College instead of returning to the Brigham Young University.  While at ASC (Now ASU), I often attended the LDS Institute activities.  The building was quite new and was located on what is now University Drive in Tempe. I think I was leaning against a post or a railing talking with my cousin, Evelyn Heywood (Bushman), who is from Holbrook, Arizona. I suppose she was waiting for someone to ask her to dance. I was just watching the dancers.
     The dancing had changed a lot since I had left for my mission. When I left, there was almost no “Jitter  bugging." when I returned that wasthe thing” along with what they called "The Stomp." I didn't know how to dance that way, so I just watched.  I happened to see a certain girl who seemed confident and seemed to know what she was doing on the dance floor and who was cute.  I asked Evy (Evelyn Heywood Bushman, my cousin) who she was. She said, "Carma Smith" and was surprised I didn't know who she was. At that moment, I had no idea she was the cute little blond haired girl I had seen before in Snowflake. The name didn't strike a bell.  She was no longer as blond and needless to say, she had grown up.  Still, I was pretty interested and asked her to dance. I must not have done too badly because she really acted friendly.  In fact, she acted friendly enough that I dared ask her out.  I didn't have enough nerve right them, but after seeing her a few more times and receiving encouraging smiles, I dared do it  She said, "No."  She already had a date.    got turned down twice more before she finally said, "yes."  Now that took courage--for me to keep asking.  I'm sure I would have given up immediately had she not been so nice about turning me down.  Also, she had such a nice smile!  And she was so cute.  And everyone seemed to enjoy being around her.  Well, you know how these things go.
During that school year, Carma and I double-dated quite a bit with my friend, Bruce Cox, and her friend, Carol Weech (James). Before the end of the year I knew Carma’s father was Lawrence Smith, that her Aunt Marie was my Aunt Marie, that my Uncle Dave was her Uncle Dave, and that her cousins, Ben, Leona and Evans, were my cousins, too. I was sure she was the cute little blond I had seen in the front yard at the home of my cousins' cousins.
Before the end of the year, I had been accepted to Medical School at the University of Utah and planned to attend there. I was interested enough in Carma by that time to want her to be close, so I tried to talk her into attending BYU so she would be closer and I would be able to continue courting. I failed. I decided she wasn't as interested in me as I had thought.  It didn't stop my interest, though.  And when I went to BYU that summer, I wrote to her.  She answered.  In fact, she invited me to visit her around the 24th of July in Snowflake. I did.
I arrived one day earlier than she anticipated.  She had a date. I was not too concerned until I found that Day Ellsworth was interested in her and that all of his friends, some of whom had formerly been my friends, too, were on his side. I was on the outside.  Well, I took her to a couple of events; she treated me very well. I was encouraged. But! When I saw her around Day, she seemed to treat him the same! Needless to say, I was a bit confused.  To top it off, she thought I was leaving a day earlier, so the last night I was there, guess who she had a date with.  Right!
     On the way back to BYU, I decided to "mark her off my list." (Actually, I didn't have a list, but I marked her off anyway.)
I think she must have written a letter and apologized for not saying good bye.  (I had left early in the morning before she got up; she had stayed out late, I think. At any rate, through some letters and seeing her occasionally over the next couple of years, she somehow got back on my list of one, and Day got off of hers.
     Carma was about to graduate from ASU with a degree in Home Economics and Education and a minor in science. I was home for spring break.  We went out a few times and I brought up the subject of "our" future and suggested she might consider getting a teaching certificate in Utah.
I'm sure I must have mentioned something about marriage and held her hand and gave her a peck on the cheek. Needless to say, I was embarrassingly unromantic. (I must have inherited that triat from my father who reportedly proposed to my mother in a kitchen with dirty dishes on the table. At least, I had selected a moon lit night.)
     I went back to Utah for school. When I returned for the summer, I had some misgivings; and though I spent a considerable amount of time with Carma, I didn't say anything more about marriage.  She was about to give up on me.  In fact,  her mind she had given me "till the end of the month" of July. We were almost there! Fortunately, I got my courage back just in time, and we made plans in earnest.  The "cute little blond" was to be my Eternal Sweetheart! From then on, I didn't have any more doubts and haven't had any since.

Sealing, Richard and Carma

Thursday, 17 September 1959

We are sealed for time and for all eternity!

My Life's Work -- 1961 to Thursday, 26 April 2001

I graduated from medical school in the spring of 1961 at age 28. I retired from the practice of medicine on 26 April 2001 at age 68--a total of 40 years in medicine following graduation.

Medical School
University of Utah
1957-1961.
Rotating Internship
Ohio State University Medical Center (OSU) Columbus Ohio
1961-1962.

Medical Residency
One year at OSU
1962-1963.
Public Health Service
Peoria, Illinois
1963-1965
General Practice Residency
One year at Good Samaritan Hospital Phoenix Arizona
1965-1966.
General Practice
Tempe Arizona
1966-1973.
Pathology--Residency
Maricopa County Hospital Phoenix Arizona
1974-1978.

Pathology--Pracrtice
Phoenix Metropolitan Area
1978-2001.

Childrens' Births,  1963 to 1978


Karen Heywood (Miskin)
7 May 1963
Columbus Franklin Ohio
Leland Smith Heywood
13 Sep 1965
Mesa Maricopa Arizona
Lawrence Smith Heywood
13 Sep 1965
Mesa Maricopa Arizona
Michelle (Shelle) Heywood
25 Apr 1971
Phoenix Maricopa Arizona
Kimberly Heywood
30 Apr 1973

Richard Smith Heywood
10 Jul 1975
Mesa Maricopa Arizona
Robert Smith Heywood
30 Nov 1978
Mesa Maricopa Arizona

Our Children
Tuesday, 7 May 1963 until Thursday, 30 November 1978
We were married on September of 17th 1959. We had our first child, Karen (Miskin), 7 May 1963.  A memorable day!  I don't think there could be a happier father. Leland Smith Heywood and Lawrence Smith Heywood were born on Friday, 13 Aug 1965.  It was my Lucky Day.  When Carma was being wheeled from the delivery room, she said, "Am I dreaming or did I have twins?" Leland and Lawrence were named after their grandfathers.  
     When we hadn't had another child for almost six years, we thought we were through with the "natural" process, so we started making arrangements to adopt through the Church Social Services. Without going into the details, we were given the opportunity to adopt a baby girl who had just been born on 25 Apr 1971--another Lucky Day. We took advantage, and a few days after the opportunity presented itself, I brought home a cute little blond haired baby we named Michelle.  We call her Shelle. (I wanted the more formal name, Michelle. Her mother wanted a more popular name like Shelle. So--- We compromised and named her Michelle and call her Shelle.)
     To our surprise, Kimberly was born two years later on 30 Apr 1973. She was the first of my children that I saw born. It was marvelous, wonderful!  (And I'm not given to use of superlatives very often)
And then, another boy, Richard Smith Heywood, born on 10 Jun 1975. How blessed can a father be? Ricky looked like Kim's twin. He is named after his father.
     Then, three years later, Robert Smith Heywood was born on 30 Nov 1978. Doesn't the name, Robert, go well with Richard? I thought so and his mother agreed. Besides that,. I had a favorite uncle named Robert, my uncle Bob.

(And, I express gratitude to their mother for baring and rearing these choice children who were "reserved to come to" me in these latter days!}

Operations

1965 to About 2014
Arthrotomy:  Corrections of a healing defect following a break involving the 4th metacarpophalangeal  joint, left hand.
Appendectomy:   Ruptured Appendix
Burr Hole for left sided Subdural Hematoma.
Prostatectomy x’s 3

People In Our Home

1967 until 1999
     Over the years, we have had some "extras" in our home. Early in our marriage, we had two unwed mothers stay in our home on separate occasions. My nephew, Fred Heywood Price, Carma's cousin's child, Patty Jo Bopp, Carma's sister, Wanda, my nephew, Jim Pitton, and, for short periods, some of our childrens' friends stayed with us.  In addition, Carma's father, Lawrence Smith and her mother, Fem Hansen Smith, stayed with us for more than a year.

Our Children's Missions

1984

Karen served in the Guatemala Quetzaltenango Mission
Leland Served in the California Oakland Mission
Lawrence served in the Chile Osorno Mission
Shelle served in the Canada Toronto Mission
Ricky served in the Chile Osorno Mission
Robert served in the Washington Spokane MissionLeland Served in the California Oakland Mission

Retirement
Thursday, 26 April 2001 until 2007

I was 68 when I retired on 26 Apr 2001.  One month after I retired, I started working as a Missionary at the Mesa Regional Family History Center[4] in Mesa, Arizona where I served for 10 years. At first, I served there four days a week with considerable "overtime." I was the Center Director for the 3 years prior to my release.

I was not too happy with my working situation before retirement. I was working at Laboratory Corporation of America in Phoenix as the Medical Director. I was not getting the support needed to provide adequate service to the physician clients and felt frustrated and subject to undue pressure.  I decided it wasn't worth it, so I retired.

I haven't been sorry for the somewhat early retirement. (I. had thought I would work until about 70.)  I am happy that I had a calling to work at for such a long period of time. 

Through Social Security, our rentals, and retirement funds, we have had adequate income to meet our needs and then some.

Addenda
     1.  Some early memories.  Probably originally written when I was about 22.   I have made slight changes to correct mistakes, to make a few additions, to clarify, and to avoid being embarrassed.
  
          Actually, about the only thing I have done, at least since the time that I can remember anything, is go to school. Of course, I have had a few vacations and I even took off two years for a mission, but mostly it’s been school. I started at Lincoln School in Mesa. I must be pretty dumb because I don’t remember too much about it. To make matters even worse the things that I do remember are kind of odd. I remember chasing the girls to kiss them as we played out in the yard. I recall a show that was put on in front of Lincoln School in which there was a monkey that could hold things with its tail.

          It was while attending Lincoln School that I learned about the “birds and the bees”. I got the straight story out in the Russel’s barn. Of course I just had to make my new discovery known as soon as possible, so I revealed the truth to a couple of playmates on the playground. I guess it was after recess that the teacher called me up to see her. She accused me of telling dirty stories. Of course I denied it. She re-accused and I re-denied. Finally she washed my mouth out with soap and tried to wash my brain with a good lecture.

          At Irving School, Miss White was my third grade teacher.  I had reached the age of accountability. I remember Miss White mainly for three reasons. First because she was so big -- about three hundred pound I think. The next thing was her good nature, and finally the good stories she would so often tell us. Besides these things, she was a good teacher. Arithmetic was my favorite subject. I could do the whole page of addition and subtraction in one minute with no errors. I had a friend could go faster.  I think his name was Roger.  I wonder if he remembers winding the Maypole. I never did do it, but I remember the occasions.

          There were many mornings that late sleepers around Irving School would be disturbed by the beating of drums and the tooting of horns. It was the drum and bugle corps. I played the drum while in the third grade and felt promoted when I was allowed to play my flugelhorn in the fourth and fifth grades. I took lessons from Lane Pew about that time and have done quite a lot of playing since then.

        It surely made me mad when Mr. Fuller gave me a 4 in Health Ed. My favorite course, and I about failed! I still don’t know why. It didn’t diminish my interest, however, and I played the sports in their seasons. I was probably quite a sight when I wore my shoulder pads under and old sweat shirt. It was quite uncomfortable in classes with them on, but I enjoyed the misery.

        My fifth grade homeroom teacher was Miss Christensen who later became Mrs. Pew, having married my trumpet teacher, Lane Pew.  I liked her a lot.  She helped me gain an interest in music.

          I was eight years old in 1941. About that time I decided that I would start remembering everything that I did. Of course that resolution, as so often happens to resolutions, was broken. In fact, I don’t remember very many events in my life at that young age. I think that I remember much more concerning my 6th, 7th, and 8th grades at Franklin. I continued to play my trumpet. Now it was in the Orchestra. Miss Bond (“Bucky’s” wife) was the director. We used to get out of classes to practice. I wonder how the teachers felt about our leaving their classes so often. Miss Bond used to hold rehearsals in the summer also. This orchestra was the increased of my interest in music. I used to take pride in taking a “practice slip” telling how much I had practiced during the week

          As much as I enjoyed music, there was one thing that I liked even more. That was sports. During every recess, during most of the noon hour and during my free time after school I would play football, basketball, or baseball. As the seasons changed my sport would change. My heroes were athletes. Although I carried my trumpet case and books to and from school I often tried to juggle a basketball or football. How did my digestion hold up when I worked so hard at playing right after eating my hurried lunch? Red faced and tired I would reluctantly go to class when the bell would ring.

          Miss Hicks was one of my teachers in the 6th grade. John Jarvis and I used to enjoy talking to her after school. It is a real accomplishment for a teacher to have students that learned so much from her and liked her so much.

          Between my Sophomore and Junior years in H.S. I joined the National Guard. I attended two summer camps and was quite taken in by the military atmosphere. When the Korean war broke out in 1950, my parents insisted that I get out. They feared I would be called on active duty and possibly be sent overseas before I finished high school. This they would not tolerate. It is interesting to me that my parents seldom insisted I do anything, generally having confidence that my decisions would be alright. However on this occasion, they insisted that I acquiesce to their judgment.  To do so, necessitated my going to another state so my reason for applying for release from the National Guard could be “Removal from State.” Well, I removed from the State but for only 6 weeks. I spent that time in Salt Lake City and returned to Arizona as soon as my discharge was complete. By that time, I would have been able to get out of the guard without such rigmarole.

          Although I was happy to get back home, I did enjoy my stay in S.L.C. I learned to love and appreciate my Aunt Sara and her family while staying with them.

          Another benefit of these events was this. After entering school in S.L.C a week late, I soon discovered myself to be behind and consequently for about the first time felt the necessity for studying. Probably because I felt myself only a temporary exile from my home and I was not socially at home, I began studying hard for the first time. As a result, by the time I left S.L.C. I had indeed caught up and was ahead in comparable classes when I returned to Mesa.

          Upon returning home I became somewhat of a celebrity for a while. It seems strange how my being away from home resulted in increased popularity upon returning,  but it happened. I suppose my having something to talk about helped. At any rate I reached the height of my social glory at this time. In addition I did well in my school work, played 1st chair trumpet in the band and played basketball with a championship team.


          Just as I had a social “down” in SLC and an “up” upon returning, I had other social ups and downs sometimes feeling “left out” and other times as though I had the world by the tail.

2.  Memories added on Wednesday, 24 September 2014 at age 81.

        I was 68 when I retired on 26 Apr 2001.  It has been over 13 years!  I am now 81.  How could that be?  I served in the Mesa Regional Family History Center, now the Mesa FamilySeaerch Library, for 10 years.  Now what do I do?

        Since my release from the Family History Center, I have spent quite a bit of time doing family history at home.  I serve as Stake Patriarch.  I have given over five hundred blessings.  I serve as a ward family history consultant.  I serve on two committees at the Mesa FamilySearch Library including as chairman of the LDS Ancestor Research Committe.  Still, I waste too much time.  I can’t keep up with Carma.  She is always busy serving home and family and friends.  I don’t know anyone who accomplishes more than she does.  I admire and love her and have grown in appreciation in my retirement.  I wonder if she will ever “retire.”  Probably not.  I do hope she slows down some.  (If only to ease my conscience.) 

        I joined  the Sons of the Utah Pioneers  I was asked to be the President Elect and later became President and then Program Chairman.  I agreed.  

        I am very pleased with my children.  They are not perfect.  They all approach it.  And my grandchildren, too.  (We now have 27 grandchildren.  Five“greats” and am expecting another. 

3.  A listing of Richard’s Pioneer Ancestors who crossed the plains before the Transcontinental Railroad[5] was completed in 1896
(Note:  Links are clickable)
Pioneer Ancestor
Dates from Mormon Migration
Mormon Migration
(Crossing the Ocean)
Click Person or Company Link
Mormon Pioneer
Overland Travel
Click Person or Ship Link
Brown, Joshua Wood
Birth: 14 Feb 1832, England
Death: 6 December 1903
Person:  Joshua


Person:  Joshua  


Company:  John Hindley Company (1855), Age 23

Brown, Mary Ann Wood
Birth: 23 Apr 1791, England
Death: 23 Sep 1884
Not found in the Mormon Migration Index
Person:  Mary_Ann

Birth: 11 Sep 1836, England
Death:  1902
Person:  Sarah

Ship:  Liverpool to New Orleans on the Charles Buck (17 Jan 1855 - 14 Mar 1855)

Person:  Sarah


Coleman, Emma Beck Evans
Birth:  1840, Illinois
Death:  1913
Born in America 

Person:  Emma



Coleman, Prime
Birth:  1803, England
Death:  1844, Nauvoo
Person:  Prime

Ship:  Liverpool to New Orleans on the Swanton (16 Jan 1843 - 16 Mar 1843)

Died in Nauvoo in 1844.
Coleman, Prime Thornton
Birth:  22 Sep 1831, England
Death:  29 Aug 1905
Person:  Prime_Thornton

Ship:  Liverpool to New Orleans on the Swanton (16 Jan 1843 - 16 Mar 1843)

Person:  Prime


Coleman, Sarah Thornton
Birth:  11 Jun 1806, England
Death:  1 Mar 1892
Person:  Sarah

Ship:  Liverpool to New Orleans on the Swanton (16 Jan 1843 - 16 Mar 1843)

Person:  Sarah

Evans, David
Birth:  27 Oct 1804, Maryland
Death:  23 Jun 1883
Born in America 
Person:  David

Evans, Mary Beck
Birth:  1804, Pennsylvania
Death:  1841, Payson, Illinois
Born in America
Died in  Payson, Adams, Illinois, 1841
Heywood, Joseph Leland
Birth:  1 Aug 1815, Mass.
Death:  16 Oct 1910
Born in America 
Person:  Joseph_Leland

Companies:  


Heywood, Martha Spence
Birth:  8 Mar 1812, Ireland
Death:  5 Feb 1873
Martha Spence did not come to America on a “Mormon” immigrant ship.  She was an immigrant on the ship Helen, 13 Dec 1834 from Liverpool, landing at the Castle Garden port in New York.  Her last residence was Durham, Ireland.   Listed as a Milliner, Age 21.
Person:  Martha

Ramsden, Ellen Jane Robbins Bailey
Birth:  1 Jun 1801, Ireland
Death:  12 Oct 1875
Person:  Ellen_Jane

Ship:  Liverpool to New Orleans on the Charles Buck (17 Jan 1855 - 14 Mar 1855)


Person:  Ellen Jane

Company:  Richard Ballantyne Company (1855), Age 54


Robbins, Mary Ann Campbell
Birth:  Abt 1761, Irelnd
Death:  5 Oct 1855
Person:  Mary_Ann

Ship:  Liverpool to New Orleans on the Ellen Maria (1 Feb 1851 - 7 Apr 1851)


Person:  Mary_Ann


Company:  Milo Andrus Company (1855), Age 94

 

Note:  Died at Ash Hollow, enroute.



[1] Revised  22 Jan 2014.
[2] Disease caused by one of the two poultry-adapted strains of Salmonella bacteria.  http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/131/salmonella-pullorum-pullorum-disease-bacillary-white-diarrhoea
[3] Counselors:  Larry Faas, Clark Fullmer, Earl Bleak, Don Martindale
[4] I was serving at the Family History Center on 9/11/2001.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/September_11_attacks

No comments:

Post a Comment